Diane Severson is a lyric soprano specializing in Early Music, especially Baroque and medieval music. She is also a teacher of singing (taking her cues from her mentor the late Cornelius Reid and Carol Baggott-Forte – Functional Voice Training). She is the mother of a young multi-linguist and married to her very own Rocket Scientist.
She has narrated for the StarShipSofa Podcast Magazine since Tony C. Smith started running fiction and found out that she reads aloud to her husband. She has done 40 or so narrations of fiction, who knows how much poetry. As a result of her affinity to poetry, and because she does her best work when she has a Cause (a budding superheroine?), she decided to become Science Fiction Poetry’s Spokesperson. She produces the sporadic podcast, which runs as part of StarShipSofa, called Poetry Planet and is a member of the Science Fiction Poetry Association and is now their membership chairperson. She is a staff blogger for Amazing Stories Magazine focusing on Science Fiction Poetry. She continues to narrate stories for StarShipSofa and other podcasts (notably PodCastle and Tales to Terrify) and has begun getting paying jobs as a voice actor.
The best place to find her is on the web because she tends to pick up and move to another country at the drop of a hat. She and her family recently moved back to Hannover, Germany after three years in Paris.
Work on Escape Artists
- EP195 26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss, by Kij Johnson (2009 Hugo Award nominee)
- EP519 In Their Image, by Abra Staffin-Wiebe
- PC036 Ancestor Money, by Maureen McHugh
- PC063 Daughter of Botu, by Eugie Foster
- PC096 Love Among the Talus, by Elizabeth Bear
- PC122 Kingspeaker, by Marie Brennan
- PC198 Urchins, While Swimming, by Catherynne M. Valente
- PC352 The Creation and Destruction of the World, by Ann Leckie